Saturday, July 10, 2010

when is "too late?"





This is Elm court in Lenox, MA, designed by Peabody and Stearns at the end of the 19th Century. It was built for Emily Vanderbilt Sloan and her husband, furniture magnate W.D. Sloan. I devoted a chapter to it in my book, "The Vanderbilts and the Gilded Age, Architectural Aspirations 1879-1901," with an Introduction by Louis Auchincloss. My co-author, Robbe Stimson, and I sneaked up there one afternoon when Elm Court was in derelict condition. It was one of the most enjoyable days I can remember. We took photos showing the wreck the place had become for our book. They caused a local sensation in Lenox. The house was - and still is - in family hands but interestingly, our most notable supporter was a family member. Not long after "Vanderbilts" was published, the son of this family member took the house over and did an incredible renovation. Stimson thought it was "compost," but the new owner managed to transform mulch to magnificence. For a short period he lived there and operated a sort of ultra-luxurious bed and breakfast. And then....he moved out and the place was closed down again. I wonder what's happened to it now.

8 comments:

  1. I love your posts regarding real estate, and this one is so true. Thanks for the post.

    Click here for: Land For Sale

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was truly an amazing restoration. When the inn opened I was their first guest, but that's a long story. I got to know the owners, a really great couple. Looks like the inn is going to reopen. I'll probably be paying another visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this house -- I saw it in its run-down state and then my husband and I spent our wedding night there when it was an inn several years later. We had the whole place to our selves. They are going to reopen again? I am so happy to hear that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks as if they've stopped trying to sell the property (after a few attempts, including parceling off the greenhouse complex and farm barns) and have returned in 2011 to it being a wedding and premium B&B.

    There was a suggestion on their website in 2009 that it would be open to the public for tours in the summer of 2010, but that plan was nixed.

    http://www.elmcourt.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. My fiance and I recently visited this property... all we could say was, "WOW!" The owners have done a magnificent job renovating this estate. We have been looking for receptions venues and this immediately popped out to us in our search.

    They are committed to keeping the property in the family, and it is now open to the public for overnight accommodations. Check out their website - that's how we learned more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am getting married here in October. It is seriously stunning these days and the photos of what it came back from are really incredible! Definitely going to check out your book.

    ReplyDelete