Sunday, February 20, 2011

Big Old Houses in Palm Springs



I did find some big old places, all of them in Old Las Palmas. I suppose if I knew the town better I'd discover them in other locations as well. As it was, except for this small district hard against the foot of the mountains, the rest of the town looked like a modern shopping center.



I'm told that 60 years ago, there were no palm trees in Palm Springs - or at least very few of them. Such vintage architectural drama as exists around here depends heavily on the foliage.



Here's the sort of "mid-century modern" house that everybody in town raves about. Truthfully, those who rave prefer them even more stripped down than this.



Can you even tell that this is an "important" house? I mean, it's nice and it's definitely got a local look, but unreconstructed me could never live here.



OK, OK, I'll grant there's drama in this entrance.

1 comment:

  1. I have not been to Palm Springs, only seen it from the air. So I was pleasantly surprised to see those very promising older houses in Old Las Palmas. It looks like you had a great trip.

    ReplyDelete